|Notable User(s)||Tanith Low|
Adept magic is one of the two base types of magic, the other being Elemental magic. Adept mages have dedicated their life and magical potential to a single set of powers, although the scope of these powers might vary.
Description of powers
Powers can range from burrowing underground to having an immunity to fire. Based on the concept of there being no gain without loss, many Adepts have weaknesses that may cause trouble for them. A poignant example is Vindick Leather, who made himself impervious to fire but is killed upon entering a large body of water. Another example is Frightening Jones, who has the ability to fire beams of heat from his eyes but cannot keep a high intensity for long and is also blinded for a short time after he uses them. Not all Adept magic is combat-related, for example Linguistics and Etymology.
Known Adept Abilities
- Symbol Magic: This type of magic harnesses the language of magic to create desired effects e.g. creating a blue energy pulse or healing wounds or even trapping someone in an invisible barrier. Symbol magic can be used by anyone even if they have already chosen a discipline.
- Kineticist: This branch of Adept magic allows the user to absorb kinetic energy and convert it into raw physical strength.
- Teleportation: This is when someone uses magic to disappear and re-appear anywhere else in the world in the blink of an eye. The more experienced a mage is at teleporting the further they are able to teleport.
- Tunneling: This is the chosen discipline of Billy-Ray Sanguine. It is stated that things just open up for him and when he passes they close up leaving no trace that he was there except for hundreds of cracks where the solid object opened.
- Necromancy: This magic is one that harnesses the power of death to control and manipulate shadows and darkness. Necromancers put their power in an object, an obvious example being Lord Vile's armour.
- Wall-Walking: The discipline practiced by Tanith Low. Shifting your centre of gravity so you can walk up walls. Wall-Walkers can also open locks and seal doors by placing a hand on the door and saying "Withstand".
- Firing laser beams from your eyes.
- Rupturing of objects.
- Bone breaking: Breaking bones with a single touch, as seen by Tesseract.
- Sensitivity: Sensitives have many different types of magic, including Seers, who can see the future, telepaths, clairvoyants and hypnotists. Sensitives include Finbar Wrong, Geoffrey Scrutinous, Cassandra Pharos and Ghastly's mother.
- Linguistics and Etymology: As suggested by the name, it is magically knowing every language spoken by humankind, as demostrated by the late Miss Nuncio.
- Releasing a gist, as seen by Anton Shudder.
- Warlocks: A particularly dark kind of magic, The caster's mouth transforms to enable them to eat the soul of their defeated enemy therefore gaining their strength/power. Warlocks also appear to be able to command light-based magic capable of paralyzing for short periods of time or speeding regeneration and healing of any wounds the warlock acquires.
- Changing form.
- Throwing lighting and other electricity related attacks, as seen by Lightning Dave.
- Creating Illusions which force the mind to think you look differently, like Robert Crasis.
- Dimensional Shunting: The ability to move between dimensions.
- Turning your hands into sledgehammers as used by Hieronymus Deadfall.
- Making shields of blue energy as used by Habergeon
- Throwinng red daggers of light as seen by Eliza Scorn
- Impervious to fire as seen by Vindick Leather
- Magiphage, the ability to drain magic for a limited amount of time and to transfer magic to an object.
- Energy-Throwing: The ability to convert energy into projectiles; popular adept ability.
- Not being hurt in a persons own domain.
- The ability to read minds
- The ability to change shape (become anyone).
- Creating force fields out of blue energy.
- For a full list, see Category:Adepts